So you’re ready to get crazy with your MS290, huh? Well, you’re in for some serious power. You may have noticed that these machines take a bit of breaking in, and your engine needs to be properly broken in before working the hardest. However, you still want to get the most out of your machine and put that new chain on it quickly.
You want to know what the best chain for Stihl MS290 is so that you can run into some dead trees as quickly as possible. There are several factors you need to consider when looking for an appropriate chain for your Stihl MS290 chainsaw.
For one, you need to make sure that the chain has a proper fit so it will work with your saw properly. Two, you also need to check the chain pitch and size so that you can determine if it is compatible with your saw.
There are chains available in standard sizes and also for other specific models of the chainsaw. The MS290 has a smaller bar size so chains should fit it correctly and not be too loose nor too tight.
Table of Contents
- In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top 3 Picks:
- Top 5 Best Chain for Stihl MS290 of 2021 – Reviews
- Final Words
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top 3 Picks:
Top 5 Best Chain for Stihl MS290 of 2021 – Reviews
I’ve picked five Chain for Stihl MS290 from my experience. With the in-depth analysis, you’ll get to choose the compatible one for your Stihl MS290.
#1. 8TEN Chainsaw Chain 81DL 3 Pack – Best Overall
- Replaces OEM Part Numbers: Carlton K3C-081G, K3C-81E, Windsor 63J81, Oregon 22BPX081G, Stihl 26 RM3 81, 3634 005 0081
- Compatible with Stihl Models: 024, 026, 028, 029, 030, 031, 032, 034, 036, 038, 039, 040, 041, 042, 044, 045, 046, 048, 056, 064, 066, E 15 Electric, E 20 Electric, E 220 Electric
- Compatible with Stihl Models: MS 260, MS 261, MS 270, MS 271, MS 280, MS 290, MS 291, MS 440, MS 441, MS 460, MS 460 R, MS 461, MS 640, MS 650, MS 660, MS 661, MSE 220 Electric
The X-TEN Standard 20″ 064 Gauge .325 Pitch 81DL 3 Pack chainsaw chain fits Stihl Model MS290, MS362, and MS650 gas-powered chainsaws. The innovative design of the X-TEN brand is specifically designed for professional tree care use such as arborists and landscapers.
Their teeth are spaced more closely together than other brands which increase chain life by 10 to 15 percent. This is an original replacement part that ensures a perfect fit for your Stihl chainsaw.
Designed specifically for Stihl chainsaws the 8TEN 20″.064 Gauge 81DL 3 Pack Chainsaw Chain is an excellent product for construction workers, landscapers, and other commercial users.
It has a special feature of the vibration-resistant Dura-Brazed Coating which increases durability by preventing damage to the chain. The innovative coating also prevents corrosion from developing inside the chain.
These incredibly durable chainsaw chains feature self-sharpening properties that ensure your saw will be kept in prime condition throughout its life.
#2. Oregon L68 ControlCut Chainsaw Chain
- Fits several chainsaws, including Stihl 025, MS230, MS 241 C-M, MS 250 C and C-BE, and MS 251. See back of package for details. Please ensure your model has a .325" sprocket.
- Ideal for DIY homeowners – Capable of handling multiple daily light-duty jobs; Ideal for home yard work and cutting damaged trees; Cuts smoothly, semi-chisel chain is more tolerant of dust and dirt; Engineered for safety, meets UL and ANSI low kickback requirements
- Automatic oiling for longer lasting chain – Oregon’s LubriTec oiling system is designed to deliver the best possible lubrication for your chain so you can work smarter and your saw lasts longer
The Oregon L68 ControlCut chainsaw chain for 18-inch bars is designed for extreme cutting efficiency. The .325 pitch and 68 Drive links are laser cut for accuracy, then heat-treated to prolong drive link life.
The Oregon L68 is an 18-inch (45.7 cm) chain. Designed and manufactured to meet the demands of professional users, the L Series chains are of superior quality and offer high performance in all applications.
Compatible with Stihl 044 MS, 066 MS, and 076 MS models. Grey finish on drive link side to help identify correct installation of drive links after sharpening or replacing a broken chain.
#3. 8TEN Chainsaw Guide Bar and 2 Chains
- Guide Bar Replaces OEM Part Numbers: GB SN25-50PA, Silver Streak R3502584-4025SS, Stihl 3003 000 4030, 3003 000 8830, 3003 000 9630, Oregon 240RNDD025
- Chain Replaces OEM Part Numbers: Carlton A1EP-084G, A1EP-84E, GB A50S-1PL84, Windsor 50A84, Oregon 72DG084G, 72DP084G, 72DPX084G
- Compatible with Stihl Models: 024, 026, 028, 029, 030, 031, 032, 034, 036, 038, 039, 040, 041, 042, 044, 045, 046, 048, 056, 064, 066, E 15 Electric, E 20 Electric, E 220 Electric, MS 260, MS 261, MS
The 8TEN chainsaw guide bar and 2 Chains are the best available to you. 8TEN has worked with over a thousand saws on thousands of logs. Our experts know your Stihl by heart and we put this knowledge into our bars and chains.
This guide bar is your all-in-one upgrade kit to get the most out of your chainsaw. It comes with a 3/8″ semi-chisel bar and fits most models of Stihl chainsaws.
The 8TEN guide bar also features a quick-change guide system, stabilizer arm, and replaceable gas vents to ensure you will have a long-lasting and durable guide bar that will take your chainsaw to the next level.
8TEN Guide Bar is made from quality steel with a black powder coating finish for durability. It fits Stihl models MS 029, MS 046, MS 290, MS 310, MS 440, MS 461, and MS 2400 (with the use of a 0073 spacer kit). This bar has a .050-inch kerf with a .375-inch slot depth and is designed to fit .325-ignition wire.
#4. Oregon D72 AdvanceCut Chainsaw Chain for 20-Inch Bar
- Pitch: 3/8", gauge: . 050", drive link count: 72
- LubriTec keeps your chain and guide bar oiled for less friction and longer life
- Top-Plate Filing Indicators make accurate sharpening easier
Oregon D72 AdvanceCut Chainsaw Chain: With 96 drive links, the Oregon D72 AdvanceCut Chainsaw Chain is strong and durable. It has a low kickback design that prevents injuries and extends the life of other components.
This chainsaw accessory works with Stihl 026, 029, MS 290, MS 291, MS 391, Husqvarna 55 Rancher, 455 Rancher, 460 Rancher, 372XP & More. Available in grey.
The Oregon D72 AdvanceCut chainsaw chain features a 72 drive link configuration, which provides more cutting and gripping power than the industry standard of 64. Each tooth carries an ANSI-approved carbide tip to ensure fast, easy starts, and maximum durability.
Oregon’s patented three-sided tooth design provides up to 30% longer life than conventional chains as well as faster cutting and easier re-sharpening, using standard equipment.
#5. Oregon L81 20-Inch Control Cut Chainsaw Chain
- Top-Plate Filing Indicators make accurate sharpening easier
- Blued Cutters deliver high-quality protection against corrosion
- Pitch: . 325", gauge: . 063", drive link count: 81
Oregon 20″ control-cut chainsaw chain fits Stihl and most other brands including Husqvarna, Echo, Poulan, Craftsman, Remington, and others. It’s rugged and durable to energize the hardest wood and meets ANSI B175.1 standards for safety, performance, and quality.
Oregon’s L81 chain can be used as a low-kickback chain with a .325″ gauge. The 20″ control cut saw chain has superior cut life and tooth strength over regular contractor saw sharpeners.
Oregon’s patented ControlCut Chain that stays sharp three times longer than conventional chains,2 resulting in a cut-after-cut performance advantage for professional tree care crews. Big performance in a small package, the L81 delivers an aggressive 14 percent more cutting power per tooth than standard chains.
The chainsaw’s most important and essential accessory is the chain. If you are unable to select a high-quality chain for your chainsaw, you are setting yourself up for failure.
As a result, carefully select the appropriate chain for your Stihl ms290. Consider the following characteristics of the chain: overall performance, chain quality, sharpness, resistance, and cutting precision.