If you want to grow a Meyer lemon tree from seed, it is important to know the best fertilizer for Meyer lemon tree to use when growing this delicate plant. The key to making your Meyer lemon tree healthy is to understand the fertilizer requirements of this plant. You can then follow a proper fertilization regimen to ensure the health of your tree.
The Meyer lemon is a variety that is growing in popularity. There are many benefits to planting and caring for your own Meyer lemon tree, including the delicious citrus fruits you receive in return.
But just like all plants, the Meyer lemon tree will need some care and attention from you in order to thrive! This article takes a look at fertilizing your Meyer lemon tree, what nutrients it needs, and which fertilizer is best for your new shrub.
Table of Contents
- Why You Need a Meyer Lemon Tree Fertilizer?
- In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top 3 Picks:
- Top 5 Best Fertilizer for Meyer Lemon Tree 2021 – Reviews
- How to Choose a Fertilizer for Meyer Lemon Trees?
Why You Need a Meyer Lemon Tree Fertilizer?
If you love Meyer lemons, then you’ll want to know why. Meyer lemons are sweeter, more flavorful, and less acidic than other citrus fruits. What’s their secret?
It’s all in the fertilizer.
Meyer lemon trees need a unique type of fertilizer that is high in nitrogen because they grow as evergreens and produce flowers all year round. They also need a high potassium level because they’re more sensitive to cold weather and frost than other citrus trees.
There are many reasons why you may need to fertilize your Meyer lemon tree:
- Sudden changes in temperature can make it difficult for the tree to survive
- Humidity can make it difficult for the tree to breathe
- Meyer lemon trees are sensitive to cold weather and frost.
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top 3 Picks:
Top 5 Best Fertilizer for Meyer Lemon Tree 2021 – Reviews
I’ve picked 5 fertilizers for Meyer’s lemon tree from my experience. With the in-depth analysis, you’ll get to choose the compatible one for your need.
#1. Citrus Fertilizer for Your Lemon Tree Plant by EZ-gro – Best Overall
- IDEAL FERTILIZER FOR CITRUS TREES: Specially formulated for a variety of tropical fruit trees. Perfect for lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, mango, and kumquat. Dwarf or large varieties, with or without seeds. Gives indoor & outdoor plants the nutrients they need to bear a larger quantity of abundant, healthy fruit.
- CONCENTRATED LIQUID FERTILIZER: Our fertilizer supplies high-grade nutrients directly to the root. A powerful cocktail with all the nutritional content your plants need. For live plants in your farm or garden. Mix with water before applying to soil.
- ENHANCED MICRONUTRIENT PACKAGE: Infused with a micronutrient package which delivers the optimal nutrition for plants in the citrus group. Added potassium, magnesium, and iron to improve common nutrient deficiencies in citrus trees.
EZ-GRO’s Citrus Fertilizer for Your Lemon Tree, Lime Tree, Avacado Tree, and Any Fruit Tree is a superior blend of All-natural organic ingredients that are completely absorbed by the roots through the planting process.
This special formula provides increased nutrient availability to your trees during each growing season for healthy, full production of fruit after planting.
EZ-GRO’s citrus fertilizer is specially formulated to help citrus and fruit trees bear more fruit. This all-natural liquid fertilizer easily penetrates the soil where it works to produce optimum results for indoor and outdoor plants.
Fertilizer comes in a one-gallon container with an easy pour spout. Just apply directly to the plant, watering well until the product is absorbed by the roots.
#2. FoxFarm FX14640
- CITRUS & AVOCADO: Happy Frog Fertilizer is specifically formulated for citrus and avocado plants
- NATURAL FERTILIZER: OMRI-listed formula includes nitrogen for robust vegetable growth
- IMPORTANT NUTRIENTS: Organic formula includes mycorrhizal fungi, calcium, and sulfur for healthy plants
The Happy Frog indoor/outdoor citrus and avocado tree fertilizer contain specially formulated nutrients that help plants grow and thrive indoors or out.
The water-soluble formula is easy to apply and will not burn your plants. Applying the Happy Frog Fertilizer can increase yields for lemons, oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, mandarin oranges, pomegranates, and more.
Available in a 7-3-3 formula designed for use with all types of citrus trees. The FX14640 Happy Frog Plant Food is a unique all-natural plant food specifically created for the indoor and outdoor cultivation of fruit trees.
The product contains no chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or herbicides; it is completely biodegradable. The formulation also includes 3% methoxy polyethylene to prevent water loss and 2% levulinic acid to speed up natural fruit metabolic processes.
You will be able to grow larger fruits in less time with this premium plant food for lemons, oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, and more.
#3. Dr. Earth 708P
- Stimulates healthy root development
- For healthier fruit
- Made with 100% organic and natural ingredients
Dr. Earth 708P Organic 9 Fruit Tree Fertilizer In Poly Bag is a natural, balanced fertilizer that provides all the nutrients your fruit trees or plants need to grow and thrive. This product has been laboratory tested and proves that it meets N organizer standards and/or exceeds N-P-K Requirements.
The product is well tolerated by most plants. However, it may cause excessive growth of roots on the roots if applied when not ready or by applying too much. The product is also toxic to fish if swallowed by accident.
This organic fertilizer for fruit trees is guaranteed to revitalize nutrient-starved orchards. It will enhance new growth, improve the health and vitality of your fruit trees.
Fungicides will also be greatly mitigated as it is not full of chemicals like other fertilizers on the market today. This product has been tested and proven effective in the United States Department of Agriculture National Facility
#4. EarthPods Premium Fruit & Citrus Plant Food
- NO MESSY LIQUIDS / NO CONFUSING MEASURING SPOONS / NO STINKY SMELL — 1 tube = 100 concentrated EarthPods (a 4-year supply for a single special Meyers lemon tree or use on big collection of potted dwarf fruit plants)
- PREMIUM INDOOR + OUTDOOR ORGANIC DWARF FRUIT TREE FERTILIZER — Boosts flower production, leaf & root growth for Meyers lemon & lime, orange & kumquat trees, avocado, tomato, pepper, eggplant, dwarf banana, potted raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, strawberry plants & other fruiting plants
- FAST & EASY TO APPLY — Push 1 EarthPod all the way into potting soil mix near center of fruit plant, then just water! (EarthPods break down & slow release nutrients direct to root zone)
EarthPods Starter Fruit & Citrus Plant Food is an all-natural product containing no chemicals. It is designed to be used as an organic fertilizer spike with your tree & vine fruit or citrus plants.
The spikes will work best if applied during the late fall or early winter months when soils are still cool and moist.
These 100 Capsule organic fertilizer spikes will bring out the best blooms and flavors, as well as intensify the colors of your plants.
Each serving provides an array of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients, allowing for the healthy growth and development of flowers, leaves, buds, stems, or roots. The spikes have been specifically developed for use with potted plants or seedlings
#5. Citrus Fruit Tree Fertilizer to Help Bear More Fruit (32 Ounce)
- FRUIT TREE FERTILIZER: Specially formulated organic citrus fertilizer to provide citrus and fruit trees the nutrients they need to bear abundant healthy fruit and citrus. Ideal fertilizer for fruit trees, our citrus tree spray helps in the development of the tree and enables your trees to produce more sugar from photosynthesis, and your trees can get back to the pre- levels of quantity and quality fruit production. Citrus tree fertilizer corrects and prevents deficiencies that cause yellowing.
- ENHANCED MICRONUTRIENT CITRUS FOOD - Our citrus fertilizer organic is a concentrated growth product specifically designed for citrus trees to produce the largest, juiciest, and tastiest fruits possible. This fruit fertilizer is blended with micronutrients which delivers the optimal nutrition for plants in the citrus group. This organic fruit tree fertilizer contains the required elements of magnesium, for improved fruit quality, calcium for stronger roots, healthier leaves, and firmer fruits.
- STIMULATES GROWTH & EXPANSION OF THE ROOT ZONE: Roots are critically important for healthy citrus trees. A strong root system will increase access to nutrients and easier water uptake, so less watering and increased stress tolerance. GS Plant Foods citrus fruit fertilizer is specially formulated to increase the number, size, and taste of your fruits. A citrus fruit is different from other fruits and to reach their full potential they need a diet of nutrients specifically tailored to their needs.
Citrus Fertilizer – Citrus Fruit Tree Fertilizer 32 ounce is a premium earth-friendly blend of natural minerals designed for fruit tree care and attention.
It’s a complete organic fertilizer, balanced for optimum nutrition of all three parts, and stimulates vigorous and healthy growth of new foliage, flowers, and fruit.
Ready to use all season long for blooming ornamental citrus trees. No dried nutrients are just ready to use for lemon trees, lime trees,s, and any fruit tree.
This 32-ounce bottle will keep your trees growing strong and healthy for many years to come. With several different uses, citrus fertilizer is perfect for any citrus tree or vine; orange, lemon, lime, or grapefruit.
This product is also great for outdoors in the yard under shade trees. Not intended for trees that are fruit-bearing or outdoors in full sun areas.
How to Choose a Fertilizer for Meyer Lemon Trees?
Choosing a fertilizer for Meyer lemon trees is not a hard task. With the right information, you can find the best fertilizer for your tree.
The first step in finding the best fertilizer for your Meyer lemon tree is to know what kind of soil it is growing in. If it’s in nutrient-rich soil, then you don’t have to worry about fertilizing at all.
The second step is to know what type of fertilizer you want to use and how much to use. There are many different kinds of fertilizers available on the market – organic, chemical, natural, etc.
You can also get them in various forms – granules, liquid, or powder form.
#Q1 What nutrients are required for optimal lemon tree growth?
There are many nutrients that can affect the growth of a Meyer lemon tree but not all of them are necessary. Some of the most important nutrients for optimum growth include potassium, calcium, magnesium, and nitrogen. However, nitrates are not an essential nutrient for the growth of Meyer lemons.
#Q2 When should you fertilize your Meyer lemon tree?
Fertilizing a lemon tree is crucial to its growth and survival. One way to fertilize your Meyer lemon tree is by using a high-nitrogen fertilizer. But when do you fertilize your Meyer lemon tree?
You can fertilize your Meyer lemon tree in the winter as well as in the summer. However, you should not fertilize it every month because that will cause the soil to become too alkaline.
Meyer lemon trees are very susceptible to cold temperatures. In the winter, it is necessary to put the tree in a sheltered place where there is adequate warmth and water.
Meyer lemon trees are delicate and need to be taken care of so that they stay healthy. One way you can help protect them is by fertilizing their soil with organic fertilizer. This will ensure that they grow well and produce lemons.