Wind storms can be a bit of an annoyance. However, you can easily minimize the risks if you use the most appropriate umbrella in your garden. There are various products that have been launched in recent years, all offering something to improve user comfort and privacy.
Of course, not all of these products are perfect, so you need to filter through them before finally settling on one. While choosing a reliable umbrella for your windy garden party, you might be confused with the number of options available.
Different umbrellas claim to offer high resistance to wind, but not everyone is actually reliable. That’s why we have created this page for you that will make your shopping experience easier and help you choose the best garden umbrella for wind.
Table of Contents
- In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top 3 Picks:
- Top 5 Best Garden Umbrella for Wind 2021 – Reviews
- How to Choose a Garden Umbrella?
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top 3 Picks:
Top 5 Best Garden Umbrella for Wind 2021 – Reviews
Garden umbrellas or parasols have various functions according to our needs. This is why there are so many models all with some characteristics that distinguish them.
I’ve picked five Garden Umbrella for Wind from my experience. With the in-depth analysis, you’ll get to choose the compatible one for your need.
#1. Blissun 9′ Outdoor Market Patio Umbrella – Best Overall
- 100% POLYESTER FABRIC -- Blissun patio umbrella is made of 100% polyester, waterproof and UV resistant, long lasting, easy to clean.
- STURDY ALUMINUM POLE -- Aluminum poles and 8 aluminum ribs for easy and compact storage, in prevention of rust and lighter than the steel pole, easy for operation. With air vented at the top, cool and can withstand sudden gust.
- CRANK MECHANISM -- This market umbrella is designed with crank open system for easy and quick use. Push button tilt for more angles of shading, keep the sun at your back.
The Blissun 9′ Outdoor Market Patio Umbrella with Push Button Tilt and Crank, 8 Ribs (Tan) is ideal for creating additional outdoor shade.
This versatile umbrella features a one-piece fiberglass pole that includes an easily installed push-button tilt knob and cranks for quick adjustments.
The sturdy steel frame provides long-lasting support, while the polyester fabric keeps the sun off of your skin and makes for a comfortable outdoor experience.
#2. Sunnyglade 9′ Patio Umbrella
- Made of 100% polyester that can be waterproof, long lasting, easy to clean.
- Powder Coated Aluminum Pole(40mm Diameter aluminum pole) and 8 sturdy ribs provides stronger support. Includes single wind vent for stability.
- 9 feet diameter- Wide enough to your 42" to 54" round, square or rectangle table with 4 to 6 chairs.
The Sunnyglade 9′ outdoor table umbrella is a functional and stylish addition to any patio decor.
The larger umbrella will provide a shaded area for parties with its 8 sturdy ribs, plus the automatic tilt feature allows for the beneficial use of wind.
This patio umbrella includes easy assembly instructions as well as an aesthetic metal pole.
#3. Blissun 9 ft Solar Umbrella
- [Energy-Efficient Lighting] 4 LED lights on each rib, 8 steel rib construction, solar-powered 32 LEDs provide energy-efficient lighting, help to light up relaxing night and create warm atmosphere. Overall Dimensions: 108"(Dia) x 98.4"(H); Dia.1.50 inch (38 mm) Pole for stronger support and durable Push Button Connector (NOTE: Umbrella BASE NOT Included)
- [Easy Tilt Operation] On and off switch for umbrella solar light, easy tilt operation with push button for more angles with hand-crank lift, easy set-up and take-down so you can relax within seconds.
- [Tilts to Get Shade] Breathable fabric that avoid harmful UV rays and guards against water, long lasting. Provide a perfect shade for your patio, garden, deck, backyard, pool.
Open your door to the world of outdoor living with the Blissun 9′ Solar Umbrella. This solar umbrella has built-in solar panels, LED lights, and a tilt system that allows you to enjoy your patio even when it’s dark out.
With 32 LED lights pumping out enough light to illuminate the whole patio, it’s perfect for hosting dinner parties and relaxing with friends or family.
#4. Sunnyglade 7.5′ Patio Umbrella
- CLASSIC TYPE & HIGH QUALITY- 7.5 feet diameter patio straight umbrella for extra strength, featuring heavy-duty fabric is especially designed to keep you cool and comfortable, apply to the yard, beach, square and other places .7.5 Ft. diameter shades your area with 3-4 chairs and table, Ideal for both residential and commercial locations.
- LIGHT WEIGHT ALUMINUM POLE- Light weight aluminum poles unscrew at middle for easy and compact storage, in prevention of rust and lighter than the steel center pole umbrella, easy for operation.
- BEAUTIFUL COLOR & 100% POLYESTER- Made of breathable, light filtering fabric with vent, long lasting, fade resistant, easy to clean.
The Sunnyglade 7.5′ Patio Umbrella with Push Button Tilt/Crank (6 Ribs) can withstand wind gusts up to 40 mph and is perfect for patio decks, outdoor living spaces, or terraces.
Made with aluminum material, the umbrella features a tilt and crank feature, which allows you to adjust the umbrella angle at any time.
With 6 ribs and a sturdy base pole that allows for easy setup and adjustment, this umbrella offers unmatched durability and strength under heavy winds.
#5. Best Choice Products 10ft Offset Patio Umbrella
- 10FT OFFSET PATIO UMBRELLA: Designed to keep you cool and comfortable in your outdoor living space, with more space underneath than traditional patio umbrellas
- EASY ADJUSTMENT: A hand-crank lift and easy-tilt system allow you to adjust the shade and block the sun at all angles, keeping the area protected throughout the day; detachable pole and crank also make for easy setup and storage
- ENHANCED STABILITY: A large wind vent at the top allows cool air to flow through, while the cross base and 2 pole knobs add optimal support and stability when the wind blows
The best choice products 10ft offset hanging market patio umbrella w/easy tilt adjustment, polyester shade, 8 ribs for backyard, poolside, lawn, and garden.
This is a compact and free-standing, collapsible umbrella designed with a sophisticated rib design and built to last for years of enjoyment.
It’s made for outdoor weather conditions and is ideal for backyard patios, decks, poolsides, beach parties, and other outdoor activities. The umbrella is easy to open, providing you with instant shade.
How to Choose a Garden Umbrella?
The name sure seems clear about it. Otherwise known as a garden parasol, it is our first ally on days that are too hot and sultry, but not only.
In fact, these are real systems to shade the garden in a simple and effective way. Despite being an object that is easy to use, the real stimulating aspect lies in the imagination with which we can imagine the perfect scenario for our garden.
Thanks to the most varied shapes and the most flamboyant colors. There are folding models and models that can be reclined to adjust the shadow beam.
The main feature necessary to have a garden umbrella is certainly the support base. This, usually in wood, metal, or plastic, serves to keep the structure in balance. The protective sheet, on the other hand, can be in fabric or plastic materials such as polyester.
The dimensions do matter and those of your umbrella must be proportionate to the environment it will have to repair. The factors to be evaluated before buying, however, are different.
The budget and the space available are the main ones to take into consideration to avoid finding yourself a bulky, unsightly object that ruins the balance of the whole garden.
If it is a dining umbrella, it will need to be at least 60cm wider than the table on each side to properly shelter us. Below, to make the bill clearer, here are some standard size examples:
- Table from 70-90 cm – Diameter from 180-240 cm
- Table from 96-120 cm – Diameter from 274-335 cm
- Table from 140-150 cm – Diameter from 335 cm up
Height and Dimensions
The larger the size of our umbrella, the more attention we should have in sizing its stability. This is done through the base and the support pole.
The dimensions of the two must be as similar as possible: with a pole diameter of 3.5 cm, the base diameter must be at least 3.5 cm higher.
Looking at the best models, we have noticed that the strongest support posts are between 3.5 cm and 7 cm in diameter.
Among the advice before buying, I would like to highlight that the choice of a pole, if possible, is best done by hand, to verify with your own eyes the resistance and above all the effect it has, once assembled.
Another aspect to consider before buying is the fact that portable models, such as beach models, are also much less resistant to the elements.
Choosing the right support pole will extend the life of your umbrella and especially your moments of relaxation in the garden.
The height to which to adjust it is another fundamental aspect. In fact, it can become a hindrance to have to bend down to go under the umbrella, especially for the tallest people among us.
While an umbrella positioned too high risks not shielding us from the sun, or from prying eyes because obviously, this is also one of its uses.
There are also cantilevered or folding models that allow you to adjust the shadow section, which we will discuss in the next lines. Always keep in mind that an ideal measure for the height of the umbrella is at least 2.15m.
Classic and simple but always functional;
Which is not fixed but swings to be always perpendicular to the ground, or adjustable according to needs.
These models are much more sensitive to wind than those with a central pole, but aesthetically speaking they always give that extra touch of class.
The umbrella base is at least as important as the pole to keep everything in balance. If the base is not heavy enough your umbrella will fall or you will see it fly away with the wind.
Below we propose a short table to size the umbrella base.
Umbrella base sizing recommendations:
- Base 10 Kg – Suitable for small tables and umbrellas with a maximum diameter of 180 cm;
- Base 13 Kg – Ideal for table umbrellas of maximum 200 cm;
- Base 18 Kg – It is the minimum support for self-supporting parasols up to 140 cm and table umbrellas up to 230 cm;
- Base 22 Kg – Excellent for self-supporting umbrellas up to 230 cm. For a table umbrella, the diameter can instead reach up to 275 cm.
- Base 31 Kg – From this weight forward, it will be possible to keep most of the umbrellas stable up to over 300 cm in diameter.
There are three different types of umbrella bases:
In anti-rust iron, they are designed to maintain counterweights, that is concrete or granite plates with a weight specifically designed to compose the base according to needs;
Extremely round, extremely heavy, and equipped with handles for handling and central tubular support, to keep the support pole;
Usually made of plastic, often used in beach models, they are basically containers with a calculated volume, which can hold water or sand and also act as a counterweight.
Once the structure is optimized with the right weight, the risk of seeing your precious cover fly away will be non-existent. However, it remains a good idea to close the umbrella in case of strong wind otherwise the opening arms could break.
If you live in very windy areas, my advice is to consider an umbrella with a side crank, which allows you to close it in the blink of an eye, and possibly an iron structure to make it heavy and resistant.
You don’t want to end up counterbalancing your umbrella during a nice party at your home, just because a little wind has picked up? Then always choose your parasol base wisely.
Since the sun is always on the move, during the day and during the seasons, an adjustable solution will be ideal to avoid constantly moving following the shadow. She will be the one to come to us.
Thanks to this system, in fact, you can adjust the angle of the umbrella and consequently the shade on your garden. These products are a very good solution in proportion to the cost.
These models are very similar to the reclining ones, with the addition of being even more mobile and adjustable. We can consider them a deluxe version when compared with simple garden umbrellas.
In fact, these models are often chosen to furnish and set up elegant outdoor rooms such as lounge bars. they are truly resistant to all atmospheric agents you might encounter during a day outdoors.
On a technological level, these products are the latest, the best choice for those who want the best.
Not only do they have the right weight base, but also all the other parts of the umbrellas, including the arms, are made of materials that are resistant to tears and blows, as well as to rain and wind.
Another feature of these umbrellas is that they can be adjusted in height on each side, to always have the right angle. All these aspects make cantilever umbrellas one of the best possible choices, even in the opinion of those who bought them.
Self-supporting and table umbrellas
The umbrellas can be of two types: self-supporting or table. Usually, the tables with the possibility of integrating a parasol to the structure, have a central hole of about 4.5 cm in diameter, which is the standard size of most of the support poles.
However, it is always advisable to check these two dimensions before purchasing the products to avoid incurring unpleasant expectations.
In fact, it happens that the most resistant poles, for example for dining tables, even reach 5 cm in diameter. The self-supporting models are ideal to be placed for example by the pool, or for an aperitif space.
Ventilation is another important aspect to consider, depending on the climate in which we find ourselves.
There are two types of ventilation, which allow heat to be dissipated optimally, avoiding that annoying greenhouse effect typical of sultry days. They are called single ventilation and double ventilation.
The ventilation is nothing more than a series of slits specially designed to allow the passage of hot air towards the outside of the cloth, protecting us and preventing water and sunlight from reaching us beyond the cloth.
There are really many different models of umbrellas, each with its own specific characteristics. Some have been developed to make them perform relatively as a shadow surface while maintaining a simple to use and intuitive mechanism.
To decide which model to buy, as already mentioned, it is better to start from the required dimensions and above all from the available budget.
In general, the larger and heavier models are often equipped with multiple functions to make them easier to use; unlike the more contained models which are often very light and simple, often at the expense of the customization of the spaces and their duration.
This mechanism, often adjusted by a clutch pedal to allow height adjustment and opening of the umbrella itself. They can be push mechanisms, with pulley or crank.
Once the umbrella is opened, this mechanism must be secured thanks to a lock, specifically designed to keep it open.
This system is the simplest and most classic, it works exactly like that of a rain umbrella and opens from the central hub. A push mechanism requires more physical effort to get into place.
This lifting system requires a pulley and a rope to reach the top of the umbrella. The physical effort required is significantly lower than the manual push models.
It is always advisable to close the umbrella in the event of wind, to avoid damage to the rope system, and in any case to always use it gracefully in the act of opening and closing.
The crank systems are simple and intuitive. Depending on the direction of rotation of the same, the umbrella will go up or down, to open or close on itself.
They are ideal mechanisms for large umbrellas, with a substantial weight, and really require minimal effort to be positioned.
Some umbrellas have a system that allows you to recline them to better manage the shaded surface as the sun moves during the day. this mechanism makes it possible to shade as large a surface as possible, regardless of the time of day and the climate.
Manual push method
Thanks to the articulated arm in the joint, it will be possible to reposition the cover manually, simply by orienting it to our liking.
It is very sensitive to the wind, which can simply shift its position or damage it. I recommend closing the umbrella in case of strong wind.
The crank recline is often combined with an opening system of the same type. To recline the umbrella, simply continue with the movement of the crank once the umbrella has been fully opened, in order to reach the desired angle.
This method is independent of the opening and lifting mechanism, as well as being specially designed to preserve the umbrella protecting it from damage due to bad weather.
#Q1 How heavy should a support base be for a garden umbrella?
The support base is used so that our umbrellas do not fly away with the wind, or tip over on the ground on a windy day. Usually, for self-supporting parasols, a minimum weight of 22 kg guarantees a stable and safe balance.
#Q2 Which are better wooden or aluminum umbrellas?
Aluminum is the best solution for windy or high humidity areas. In any case, it is advisable to always close it in case of bad weather or strong wind to avoid damage.
#Q3 What is the best color for a garden umbrella?
The best colors for garden umbrellas are those that refer to the colors of the earth, in addition to stone and why not lighter colors such as beige and coconut white.
However, it remains a personal choice, based on your tastes. Always remember that dark colors attract heat, while light colors always appear dirtier than they really are.
#Q4 What wind speed can damage garden umbrellas?
A university study has shown how wind speeds above 70/80 km/h can damage most umbrellas when open.